Game 45 of the 16/17 season
Ten point ‘match report’
Somewhere a bit more local after the long trip to Dulwich to watch Macc the week before, and a first trip to Leek since pre-season.
1) A couple of years ago this game would have joined the fairly lengthy list of postponements due to waterlogging across the leagues. Thankfully Leek have invested in their pitch and it now holds up much better.
2) Leek’s first home game since January 31st – much needed revenue
3) The picture shows Leek’s opener, an excellent goal as four quick passes sliced through the Loughborough back line.
4) the first half was also notable for some very odd decisions by the officials, with several having the look of the of a mental toss of the coin about them.
5) The PA man made a special announcement (twice) at half-time to clear the Loughborough substitutes from the goalmouth.
6) A second Leek goal in the second half gave them a bit more comfort and saw the away side get progressively more frustrated.
7) One of the Leek substitutes, Peter Williams looks like he might be more at home in a veterans league – see here. Plenty of nous though and did a fine job of keeping the ball with Leek at 2-0 and cruising.
8) Man mountain Francino Francis and fellow centre-half Darren Chadwick dealt well with the sporadic threat from the away side who tested them with balls into the box from wide areas.
9) Loughborough pulled one back in the last minute, with an effort that hit two Leek players and bobbled in. If they had got one after 70 minutes it might have worried the home side a bit more
10) A good game, played in a very competitive spirit, with the result going the right way based on the performances.
Entertainment – 7/10